View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
As for laura laughlins situation,

this is how the FEDs, do people who do not plead guilty and take a deal or plea, PILE EXTRA CHARGES on them!

Makes them feel a lot worse than they may feel just so they will take a plea. I did and most L E O's did. Yep, sad I know.

Hope she and hubby beat the whole mess and then spank the hell out of the TWO BRAT's she has for kids!
I've negotiated more than my fair share of pleas. What you just described is something I've never seen. When we're talking about one act or one investigation, the Defendant is typically charged and doesn't actually learn about the charges until she receives them in court. I've never once seen a Assistant District Attorney pile on charges because people didn't take a plea.

I have seen ADAs dismiss charges as part of a plea. An example off the top of my head was where my guy was charged with possession of marijuana, cocaine, and paraphernalia as well as possession of a firearm while committing a felony, our ADA graciously dropped the gun charge so we could send the kid to a boot camp type program. The gun charge was considered a violent crime, which would have made that diversion impossible.

It's a pretty good rule of thumb to not make up your mind if you care about guilt or innocence until the trial and until the Defendant or her counsel make the State prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma