View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I don't mind the "babies" thing that much. In some contexts, I use/understand the term baby to refer to anything petite or particularly adorable. I mean, think about the slang that small groups of women create when they spend time around one another... there's always a word du jour or random abbreviation du jour (awk, obvies, presh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The fact is...pledges AREN'T members. If they were, someone couldn't depledge and join another group a year later. It would violate NPC rules. Until you take that initiation oath, you are part of the chapter - just as I would say non-member advisors and sweethearts are part of the chapter - but you are not an actual member.
I do like this point a lot. We refer to them as "new members" and the "new member period", but you're right -they're not really members yet. They're more like probationary members or aspiring members.

Then we bend over backward to not do anything that treats them differently than any other member, sometimes the point of absurdity. We can educate them in a little meeting, but we can't really put any responsibility on them to learn about the organization or sisters. We ask sisters to do more during the two weeks around recruitment than we ask new members to do in their entire new member period.