View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
So, this is the key point that I *think* you're trying to make: different schools have different "characteristics of differentiation".
YES! Well this probably better articulated what was partly in my head when I started this thread
Quote:
I think we've said many of the same things here, but the difference is that I tried to give a complete context and background to the entire process, rather than painting our organizations in such a shallow, detrimental light

Yes, you do add context to the 'superficial differentiations', and forgetting to add context is something I frequently do. But I really do feel that for some schools we have to be very blunt about the attitude, or even importance, of 'superficial differentiations'
Quote:
you might conclude that UCLA recruitment is really superficial. Or you might conclude that all of the PNMs are exceptionally smart and accomplished women, and understand why personality, sociability and appearance become the distinguishing factors in recruitment success.

This I think sometimes results in PNMs locking onto the "well I'm an exceptionally smart and accomplished woman", but then forgetting the next half of the sentence.
Quote:
I bristle at the notion of calling them out without providing greater context to ALL the considerations that go into success in recruitment, business, life, etc.
I was giving the reader the benefit of doubt that they were aware of the 'acceptable' considerations that go into success and that they just needed to add particular and additional attention to the aforementioned 'superficial differentiations'.
Quote:
I have seen PLENTY of advice on GreekChat related to maximizing a PNM's appearance before recruitment
This is true but in my opinion that kind of advice on Greek Chat has a tone of this is additional preparation that may be helpful rather than, maximising your appearance is as mandatory as are recs.
Quote:
I'm shocked that most PNMs (observant ones, at least), wouldn't know that appearance plays a role in recruitment.

People on this board criticise the attitudes of PNMs (and their mothers) that they're somehow a special snowflake; PNMs should be aware that at some schools they are not unique in all the objective differentiations (like GPA, etc.); but the disappointed PNMs that post on this board don't seem to be aware of that.
I think even if there is a feeling on these boards of appearance being a factor, GCers often take a tacit approach to that advice. I do realise that negative body image is a serious concern within this demographic. So commenting on how a PNM "should" or "need" to look is controversial, unhealthy, and so avoided.
But I think for rush at some schools PNMs really need to be aware of how critical their appearance is, for better or worse. And advice on this should be clear rather than circumspect and alluded to.
Quote:
I'm so confused by this. Telling PNMs to keep an open mind IS TELLING THEM TO CONSIDER EVEN THE CHAPTERS THEY DON'T PARTICULARLY LIKE...

Perhaps I should correct my original paragraph to say:
"What is important is that the telling to PNMs at certain schools that they should "keep an open mind", "do not listen to the tent talk", "try to look past the reputation", etc, as the only kind of advice offered (without accepting the existence of 'superficial differentiations') would be disingenuous, even harmful. Only giving the kind of advice that sticks to the 'objective differentiations' can breed false hope or unrealistic expectations."
Thank you LAblondeGPhi, I have really appreciated your contributions to this conversation.