View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Elections Aftermath Frustrating Me

Recently, our Fraternity had elections for some of our higher ranking chairs. I ran for the position of our New Member Educator, and it was a position that I felt like with all my heart that I should belong in. It came time of the election, and there was only one guy I was up against. I was fully prepared with a list of my qualifications and what I would bring to the position, while my opponent was not.

When it came time to the discussion on the candidates (they sent us out of the room, but I learned what was discussed latter), I had massively positive critiques while my opponent had negatives. I had better time management, better availability to plan and lead the education process, better grades, better knowledge and understanding of the history of the Fraternity, better character towards the pledges, and an overall better platform to work off of. My opponent was the opposite of this by what was said in the discussion.

Yet, I lost.

In the past, when I see that my opponent was more qualified for the position, I have given them my full support. I give them all my notes, all my ideas, and I continue to act as if I was in the position, giving the Fraternity the full support it needed. However, this time around, it wasn't the case. I was more qualified than the other person, by what the Fraternity discussed, and the only reason that would explain why I lost is because the other guy is more popular in the Fraternity and Greek Life than I am. He's the sweetheart for a Sorority, and people drool at his name. It doesn't matter that he's screwed most of the positions he's been in, or that his grades aren't good, he's tight on availability, he doesn't know the history or meanings behind the Fraternity, and many other things alongside the necessary qualifications to be a good New Member Educator. To add onto what was stated in the opening of the paragraph, contributing to the position will not work. I have given my notes and support to this guy before, and he has chosen to disregard everything about it for one reason or another. In addition, he also tried to tear me up during the questions portion of my speech, so it's pretty clear what he thinks of me.

It makes me sick right now feeling like the reason I lost was because I was not popular enough. Right now, I just feel like all the hard work I put into the Fraternity was thrown into the trash for consideration of who could make them laugh more. I do own a house that the Fraternity frequently uses, especially for their education events, and the thought has been rolling around in my head of closing it off to them. I honestly don't know where to go from here. Input?