View Single Post
Old 09-17-2001, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Name: Nann
Chapter: Epsilon Alpha, University of Missouri
Pledged: 11/5/70
Initiated: 3/13/71
(I think I am the oldest Alpha Gam on this board.)

I went through formal rush in a very competitive Greek system, but did not make the final round of parties. (I was later told there was a computer glitch; that may have been tactful....but MU was among the first universities to use computerized bid matching so it may have been true.) [Anecdote: my roommate during rush suffered the same fate as I; on the final day of parties we went to a movie--Cheyenne Social Club--and had pizza for lunch. She transferred to U of Oklahoma the next year and pledged Kappa, where she was a double legacy.]

I then signed up for informal rush. Alpha Gam extended a bid and I accepted! (The next week I was invited to an informal rush party at XYZ, which I'd thought I was "supposed" to be, and had to tell them I was "taken.") Anecdote: I remember getting the bid and making the bid-extenders wait in my dorm room while I called my parents! Anecdote 2: One of the seniors was celebrating her 21st birthday and had a smuggled-in bottle of cold duck--a cheap red wine popular at the time--alcohol is, of course, verboten on fraternity property. The upperclasswomen who were pouring the tiny cups of wine were aghast that a new pledge had been part of this. I, of course, was so excited to be part of the chapter that I would have gone along with anything they did.

My interest from the start was Panhellenic and I served as our chapter's delegate to the council. I was the campus Panhellenic v.p. and then president. [Anecdote: we had a cutoff date for rush registration. One rushee did not get her form in in time, even after the last-last-minute. Her mother called to plead her case. I said no. The mother said, "I hope you'll be more mellow when you're older!" The rush advisor from that house apologized profusely to me.]

I was a Chapter Consultant during the 74-75 school year. I was the first extension consultant--I went where we did not have chapters. I'm pleased to say that some of my scouting had results--Lehigh, Miami (Ohio), Clemson among them. I was assigned to Texas A & M to help start Epsilon Rho, and while I was there I then found a "real" job in a small town near there (where I met "Carnation," the PiPhi who's a GreekChat regular).

I've been a somewhat active alum ever since.