View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Symbal
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
The only thing I would add is that I think the solution to this kind of situation is to have laws in place that require the police to withhold the name of the accused as well until a claim can be fully investigated- with the names of both parties being revealed at the same time at some point in the prosecution process. That of course assumes the accused has not fled or gone into hiding and could thus pose a forseeable public risk.
I disagree. It could pan out that a woman WAS assaulted and the man who did it to her was guilty (beyond a reasonable doubt), and was convicted, there are still people out there who would take it upon themselves to harass the victim. A lot of people still subscribe to the notion that she must have brought it on herself (too short of a skirt, drank too much, flirted too much, etc.). I asked many women that I know who have been sexually assaulted their opinion on this. They all described their identities being revealed to the general public as being raped again. The public is rather famous for not leaving well enough alone.