View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlydaughter View Post
While recruitment is ongoing at UGA and yet to occur at many schools, both in GA and outside of GA, the article should not have mentioned any sorority by name. As we all know a sorority at one school might be really great and "in demand" while at another school the sorority could be not very well rated, reputation, etc. While DPhiE was founded as a Jewish sorority and has been at UGA many years as such, it is not majority "Jewish" at many schools. There are other strong and active chapters of DPhiE that might now be damaged with regard to the labeling of the AJC article.

Even with bids from some of the more well known strong southern sororities and having four generations of legacies to another sorority my daughter chose DPhiE at another southern school (not UGA) and the members are not "mostly Jewish" nor is my daughter. The chapter is actually one of the largest and most popular sororities on her campus.

With that said the "labeling" done by the AJC article was detremental to DPhiE and could happen to any sorority on any campus (good or bad). Just goes to show that saying DPhiE is Jewish does not really apply to all chapters!
A lot of D Phi E's chapters are at smaller schools where if you actually found 2 Jewish people, you'd be shocked. I think the rushees at those schools are going to figure out that the "Jewish sorority" label isn't something that applies to every school they're located at. Same with some of the other NPC groups that are "Jewish sororities" (by default or by design) at bigger schools.