View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Besides the scandals the athletics department/university have been involved in, is there any other factor that would preclude extension at Baylor? Is housing a factor, or hostile administration, or a toxic tier culture?
There are others on this board with more knowledge about Baylor than I have, as I haven't lived in the area in about 15 years. I'll answer as best I can.

Baylor did not have any space for sororities until maybe 10-15 years ago. Time flies and honestly I can't remember when things changed. That is when they built a Panhellenic Building that has a large chapter room for each sorority. No one lives in. There are currently 8 sororities, but if memory serves, they built the building with either additional space for future organizations or the ability to expand.

Somehow the scandal(s) have not hurt female enrollment, but that is an opinion piece and thread for another day. Quota + additions has been >100/110 with just 8 chapters on campus. Given that there is no housing to pay for or beds to fill, adding in several more chapters could get pledge classes to a manageable number.

There is certainly quite the competitiveness between chapters so campus culture would have to change to genuinely embrace and support new chapter(s), as well as genuinely embrace and support the sororities that are currently on campus. One chapter missed quota by 10 this past year, but there were almost 100 QAs. Tent talk all first semester (January Recruitment) is a huge player. Historically there has been a strong competitiveness between organizations that extends beyond friendly rivalry. It's not just dissing on the perceived "bottom chapter." The shade thrown extends up and down to include all chapters. Everyone jockeying for position.

I don't recall a hostile administration to adding groups but that is where others would know Baylor better than me. It's certainly not a Belmont situation. Up until the 1990s no dancing was allowed, and it might be that official greek events are still dry. Not sure. That comes from the admin, but more based on their Biblical beliefs than anti-Greek. Baylor has a large Baptist/Southern Baptist student body, so their students wouldn't be as up in arms about those restrictions as elsewhere.