View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Interesting

The Clip was interesting. But it shows the all too overplayed scenario of black men and black women in dysfunctional relationships. My wife is trying to write a novel about this, but she is finding from publishing companies that people don't want to delve into the complexities of a 21st century adult love affair between a black man and a black woman. All they want is the dirt, the name calling, the cheating, the rampant pain and lies. My wife, an English Professor, just calls it "Low culture" (A literary concept that divides academic fiction or "High culture" from popular fiction or "low Culture"). The high culture literature would be subject for academic critique and address themes that would stand up to literary critique. Think about Toni Morrison or Alice Walker for "High Culture" writers and Eric Jerome Dickey or Terry McMillan for "Low Culture" writers. This isn't to say that Low Culture isn't or can't be good literature, but it is written for a broader audience, an audience that wouldn't appreciate certain literary devices that High culture writers would employ.

I said all that to say that this clip seemed to attract a "low culture" perspective on the issue. Just because the brother showed up with a white women, the black women labeled him "weak". He only defended himself by looking at material things he bought for the ex, as if this disproved her assertion of his "weakness". He then states that he couldn't deal with the "drama" that came from her every night (a stereotype of black women, that they are immasculating). Couple that with all of the profanity and you appeal to a wider audience, and an audience that is more stimulated by titilation and discord rather than keen insight and critique. I think the issue of inter-racial dating needs to get beyond the surface issues and look at the complexities of history, economics, politics, religion, sex, "the whole 9" as Prof. X (R.I.P.) of the X Clan would say.

Interacial dating is so much more than shallow black men, "weak" white women, and Jealous black women. And no, brothers, you are not let off the hook because you feel like it is "easier" to date a white woman. Strong black communities are started with strong black families. Strong black families are started with strong black romantic relationships. What is keeping you from that strong black woman, strong black man!!??!! What is keeping you, strong black woman, from that strong black man!!??!!

Blackwatch!!!!!!

Last edited by The Cushite; 04-18-2006 at 09:29 PM.