View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh crap - Approximately 10 years ago, my nephew pledged/joined this fraternity his freshman year at Baylor and then immediately left Baylor. I do recall that his family did not know he pledged until after pledging (and all that entails) was over. At that time, this group was conducting "secret pledging" or at least that's what I was told.

I know very little about this organization. I'm posting this because Baylor may have a hard time getting rid of this group. Here's why:

"Tryon Coterie affiliated with Phi Delta Theta in 1977 and is now part of the Texas Lambda Chapter of Phi Delta Theta. The fraternity chapter to this day models itself as Phi Delta Theta-The Tryon Coterie , making it unique among Phi Delt chapters nationwide. * * *"

"The Tryon Coterie is the oldest of Baylor University’s men’s social clubs. It was named after one of Baylor University’s three founders, Reverend William Milton Tryon. A minister in the Southern Baptist Convention, and Confederate chaplain. The word Coterie was chosen as it represents a "Gathering of Friends"."

"In 1976-1977 Tryon Coterie converted to Phi Delta Theta, as many of the fraternities began to transfer from Local to National names, however continues to use its original name, known as Phi Delta Theta-The Tryon Coterie. * * *"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryon_Coterie