View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
My question is: why were some of these chapters closed in the first place?

If you look at the chapters below, each of them has a recolonization that occurred within 2 or 3 years of them closing. Why did they close? Was it a "The chapter will close in 2003 but will have the opportunity to return to campus in 2006" type of situation? Are these closures due to numbers or risk management?

Either way, a chapter returning to campus within a few years of closure is likely in for an uphill battle. It means that seniors were freshman or sophomores when the chapter closed, and current students (both Greek and non-Greek) remember what happened and saw it first-hand. It's much more likely that rumors will fly, tent talk will be harsh, and some upperclassmen will continue to hold negative feelings about the sorority (or fraternity) that are hard to shake.
I'm 99% sure that Alpha Phi at Duke was a reorg. That's what I remember anyway, so I think the dates on IrishPipes' list may be confusing. I graduated right before, but my sister was on campus during that entire time and I don't think students there would have said Alpha Phi was closed at all during that period, but they did have the current members go alum and then start over.