View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

As we didn't have any Gamma Rhos or one group of prospects that we went through rush with, any feedback, support, or encouragement we got was back in the dorm or from friends we had made elsewhere. Silence was STRICTLY observed, at least from what I saw. And I made sure that I did not more than smile at any active I ran into on campus. My dorm was a smaller one and practically off campus, but several girls on my hall were also rushing. I didn't know any of them very well, but one from about the middle of my long hall where I was on the end recruited me to "go through rush" with her. I liked her very much and we agreed to go to and from the auditorium to get what were hopefully our invitations to the next parties. We also agreed to not talk about what parties we were invited back to or talk about any of the individual sororities except in a very general way of what we were looking for. Turned out that we were pretty much looking for the same things. She had been in the Miss America state pageant that summer with all the poise and looks that went along with that. Along with a VERY nice wardrobe. For the purpose of my story here I will call her "Willa".

So Willa and I went off to get our bid envelopes, understanding that a "Regret" might be in it. No personal calls or visits to deliver that bad news to you in person at that time. We were in different lines to pick up our envelopes and got together afterwards to walk back to our dorm. We could return to a maximum of four second round parties. Both Willa and I had full return party cards! I received invitations to ALL SIX and had to decide on the spot which two invitations I would decline. I declined Miranda and Rosalind. I actually thought I would fit in better with Rosalind than Cleopatra, but I was more curious about Cleopatra so decided to go there instead. Willa and I didn't discuss which groups we were returning to or how many invitations we had received. But we were both very happy with the second round of parties we would be attending.

So I prepared to return to:
Portia
Bianca
Beatrice
Cleopatra.

We did no ranking, but I mentally ranked them in the order above.

Back at the dorm my roommates, suite mates, and other friends were certain I would end up in Portia, although they liked all of my top three. A Pi Phi who had transferred to be with her fiance was certain I would end up in Portia. There was no Pi Phi on my campus, although one of my neighbors was one and I thought very well of her and them. And of course I wondered what she knew that I didn't! I had NO idea what went on on the other side of rush and of course imagined that every little flaw would be noticed and discussed and that the dreaded black ball might be cast. I later learned that cuts had been heavy after the first round, and that the Portia cuts were heaviest of all. I was thrilled to be going back, but also cautious about getting my hopes up as I had been told before that theirs was the hardest sorority to get a bid to.

To be continued!