Thread: Rebel Mom
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for the replies! My daughter is hearing the horror stories about the hard cuts the sororities are forced to make due to variable quota – She had several friends who rushed at Mississippi State~ who by any standard would be considered an A-list top-quality rushee~ yet, were released from their legacy chapter after the first round. I understand there was a lot of bitterness among the actives and the alumnae over who he should stay and who should be released. So I am beginning to understand that often times it is not personal – there are just so many spots that can be given to ffill a pledge class – and way too many legacies for the chapters to have to deal with. It's easy to see that by definition, people are going to get hurt. My daughter is in a Bible study with a wonderful mentor – she said to my daughter recently "Remember – you are NOT a victim. You know the "risk" of putting yourself out there – and that it may not end well. In the end, you are making a choice". At first I thought that was harsh, but my daughter seems to be at peace with the idea that it may not end well, but she is willing to take the risk. She is very realistic about her slim chances with the "top-tier "chapters and is willing (and open-minded) about being open to finding a home in a place that she never expected. I won't lie – I am very scared for her, but I do think she understands the process now, so at least she won't be blindsided. That doesn't mean, of course, that she won't get hurt, which is every mother's nightmare. I just have to trust that she will land where she was meant to be. Thank you so much for all the feedback!

Last edited by Rebel Mom; 09-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.