View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
I agree about having two paths of support. There will be some girls that take longer to get over with rejection than others. There are a few girls that have never been rejected for anything in their lives. Rejected girls need time to heal. Rejection is like a plateau where you would feel fine and then feel upset and so on and so on.
This is true too! So many people treat this like "okay, it's been a week now, time to get over and move on to something else." It does take time to heal, and these girls may need support for several weeks or even months afterward. Having some sort of support system in place for this would be a good thing.

Personally, I think this is also a place where women's own "cattiness" comes in to play as well. We all know girls who have been dropped from recruitment, and need to evalutate our own behavior towards them as well. So what if every sorority dropped her because has a bad reputation, or because she was shy and not very talkative, or simply because sisters overlooked a great girl because of release numbers. Whatever the reason, it does not mean that we have to whisper about that girl when we see her or ostrasize her forever because she did not get a bid. Call me silly, but I still believe in the Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them do to you, or treat others the way you would like to be treated. Does not mean that we need to hang out with them or have a long conversations in the hallways with them, but we can at least respect them for making the effort to go through the recruitment process and nod or say hello to them once in awhile.