View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraternitynik View Post
Harvard is certainly attempting to set a trend - I don't think it'll spread too far out of the Northeast or "Left Coast."

To be honest I think that the only true solution to this is for fraternities and sororities to assert their right to exist outside of the confines of university recognition. Almost none of the roughly hundred social GLOs have made any legitimate arguments outside of press releases from their umbrella groups.

Colleges & Universities need to enforce student behavior, not 5-30 folks in a headquarters hundreds or thousands of miles away. Penn State is taking some steps to do that, but is unfortunately still focused on organizational behavior.

Unfortunately, all this may do is turn these social clubs back into secret societies. Hazing, elitism and substance abuse will be further underground than they already are. (REACH Act may make it even worse).

All just an opinion. . .
Not sure that it will spread *that* far on the west coast. I can only think of two private schools with significant national standing: USC and Stanford. (So I think in terms of football, sue me)