View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post
Weren't high school sororities and fraternities banned in many places because they often functionally became gangs, IIRC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Maybe but not here in the deep south. They were still popular into the 60s and after.
Young ladies attending my high school during the 70s, 80s and 90s formed many special clique groups, kind of like sororities, that wore individual group t-shirts every Friday. Some of the t-shirts were emblazoned with popular beer commercial quotes. Some groups stuck a nickname on the back of each members shirt; some nicknames were just as bad as the beer slogans on their shirt front.

The type of gals forming these mixed groups were mostly popular kids with a high GPA ranking: cheerleaders, poms, yearbook and newspaper editors, student government leaders, and really good friends of same. Most group members also enjoyed living with parents who were community leaders, teachers, school board members and/or monetary supporters of school functions.

These special high school groups were only banned at my old school when an executive principal decided they were too exclusive, never banned or demoted due to poor taste displayed in their shirt mottos/nicknames.

A good percentage of the women from my HS class in these special HS groups became NPC members, in a truly wide variety of NPCs.