Thread: Not typical PNM
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wondering what you are seeking if you want to join a group of young women who are at vastly different stages of life than you. Personally I can't imagine a 30-something in my sorority if I'm an 18, 20 or even 21 year old pledge - that's not to say it might not work somewhere, but I think it would have to be a very urban campus with a different sorority experience.

Is your desire to be part of a greater group? Is it specifically belonging to a Greek organization? Not to sound discouraging, but at your age, I think a) you'll likely have a hard time getting invited back to parties and b) if you were to get a bid, you likely would be the only person older than a traditional member (meaning 18-22/23) so bonding with other members could be hard since you're just at such different stages of life.

You haven't said what type of school you're at and what their Greek organizations are like - do you know if sororities there have older members? Is it a commuter school where perhaps the structure is different than at a more traditional school?

Remember, chapters have required activities - chapter meetings, etc. How will you respond to being told "to do" certain things by a 20 or 21 year old officer? Will you be able to find common ground with the pledge members who are likely 18-19-20?

I'm always the first to say to anyone to go for it, but I would think long and hard about these things so that you can manage your expectations - both for rush and should you be lucky enough to get a bid.