View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there are people who don't agree that "in God we trust" should be on the money. I for one will admit I don't because I'm agnostic. But even if you concede that "in God we trust" is appropriate. God is a much more inclusive concept than a Christian cross. A cross is actually very exclusive. It is a representation of Jesus Christ as the messiah. It promotes that specific idea. And anyone who does not believe in that concept is not represented by a cross.
The government shouldn't be promoting any version of God, or God at all for that matter. A cross promotes the idea that Jesus was the messiah, and I don't think the government should be in the business of promoting Jesus. We have churches and missionaries to do that.
Furthermore, if Christians want a specific memorial to remember Christian members of the service or to recognize the sacrifice of all in the military from a Christian perspective they are free to do that ... they just have to buy their own land and put their own memorial.