View Single Post
Old 05-19-2000, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Kammye,
I am very pleased that you are interested in one of the 9 illustrious Greek Letter Organizations. I want to take the time to enlighten you on a few things about becoming a part of an organization. I hope that my experience will help you a bit.

I pledged SGRHO in the Fall of 1992. Yes, the MIP process was in effect (the change took place via 1990), but I pledged. In order for me to become a part I had various tasks, but all had a purpose and a meaning. I had to learn time management and MOST IMPORTANTLY THE HISTORY OF THE ORGANIZATION. All of the organizations are involved heavily with the Black Community. Ask yourself - I MEAN REALLY ASK YOURSELF - are you able to balance your classes, work, service, extracurricular activities, and loved ones to become a part.

When I pledged I was a Sophomore (which in my eyes is the ideal time to pledge because you are not quite into your major). I had workstudy and was taking 18 hours and 4 hours of lab work. I was a Biology/Chemistry Major. I was also Historian for the Sophomore class. I HAD TO LEARN TO JUGGLE MY TIME. Don't get me wrong - I had a hard time, hardly slept, and endured hell weeks, but I got through it. BUT I WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING. Anything is possible Kammye!!!

I have grown as a woman and I am still active with my organization. I hold a position with the Alumni Chapter here in Charlotte, work 50 hours a week, take part in community service, and still manage to maintain. It is hard work, but anything worth having is worth working hard for. More importantly, this is a lifelong commitment. There will always be some letter wearers out there (as we affectionately call them), but the whole point of the process is to prepare you for the rest of your life - which is SHEER HELL.

Make sure you take the time and learn about each organization and make a clear and definitive choice. I did, and I chose the one that intrigued me the most. The one with which I could identify. Good Luck to you on your quest.

Faythe