View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the greek community was very pleased with President Kim's openness to the greek system on campus. Dartmouth has had administrators who were not so supportive in the past, but they tended to be unsuccessful because at Dartmouth all of our major alumni donors are greek and strongly support the greek system on campus. When President Kim was announced as president elect, there were some concerns within the greek community that he might not be our biggest ally because of his unfamiliarity with greek life, but he has really made an effort. He's met with lots of chapter presidents and greek leaders, toured houses, even (somewhat in jest) asked our student body president to explain the Dartmouth-specific rules for beer pong.

I hope all continues to go well. Dartmouth greeks have a rare advantage in that the majority of eligible (we have deferred recruitment) students on campus are affiliated (I think it's approaching 70% at least for women). It's harder to be anti-greek when you're fighting that strong a majority.