View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The above situation basically happened to me. Being the naiive person I am/was, I didn't realize that you could be dropped from recruitment entirely (PX's, as great as they were, didn't lay that out for us). I was dropped after novelty (2nd) round, where I had attended 3 parties out of 6 houses I had a pretty full schedule that quarter, so I missed the Tuesday afternoon call of "hey you don't need to come and pick up your invites because you were dropped" because I couldn't check my voice mail (no cell phone at the time). SO I showed up early to the meeting (thank god) and my poor PX's looked like they had seen a ghost, they obviously hadn't planned on me not getting the message. I left shortly after hearing the news, and of course like many PNM's, I wanted to know WHY. So I talked to the greek life advisor, who was very calm with me and set up a meeting. I met with her and discussed what my options were, and she let me sign my bid card right there, on Thursday rather than Sunday so that I didn't have to explain what happened to the rest of my group. She said to fill out a full bid card and then see what happened. Course I got the "did not match" call on Sunday...by then I was OK with it, but watching girls go to Final party was really rough that weekend. But come monday, my roommate (who was usually a bit ditzy about messages) told me that I desperately needed to check my voicemail, that some lady from Student Affairs had INSISTED on leaving a message for me. So I check it...it's the Greek Life advisor saying that I had been offered a bid to my number 1 choice....Tau Delta. After much jumping up and down and excitement, I called her back and calmly accepted(yea right). That night I got to go to the finally PX meeting, recieve my bid (which promptly got a place of honor in my scrapbook) and went to closing ceremony. My life hasnt been the same since.

I guess the summary of that is that things happen for a reason, and that being forthright about the possibilities of not being bidded is a good policy, and explain what other courses of action are left open after recruitment (COB, re-rushing, not rushing, etc.). As a PX this year, I shared my story with my girls to explain what COULD happen, and that no one is guarenteed a bid, even if they have a full invite schedule. Me and my PX buddy (who rocked) gave the girls my Cell phone, room phone and email to contact me if they wanted to talk outside of the group meetings. Some of the girls connected better with me, others with the other PX, but that's OK, they called whoever they felt comfortable with, the point was that I lived on campus and the other PX lived a few blocks away, so we went and met with girls together or individually whenever the need arrose. Even after recruitment, some girls sought us out to ask our advice, and that goes to show, the PX job is never done !