View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
I was at Cheesecake Factory a few months ago with a friend. The hostess directed us to our table which happened to be next to a family with three toddlers were running wild around the restaurant. I asked the hostess to find us a different table. She gave me this look that screamed "CHILD HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I'm certainly not and would like some of my own one day. I just don't want to be annoyed throughout my meal whether it's at the Cheesecake Factory or Bacchanalia (Atlanta fine dining restaurant).

One of the worst experiences I had was at Chili's which, of course, is a family friendly restaurant. That still doesn't give kids a free pass to act up. There were two kids ages 3 and 5 in the booth behind us with mom and grandma. The kids had been throwing stuff and screaming the whole meal. While the older child threw a massive temper-tantrum on the ground (complete with kicking the floor and booth), the younger child crawled up the booth and began dangling over to our side. I yelped when this kid's face ended up right in mine because it scared the living crap out of me. Grandma said calmly, "No-no, Jacob. We don't do that." My grandparents or parents would've dragged me to the car and whooped my butt!! I asked the hostess if we could be moved and both she and the kids' family looked at me like I was some sort of monster for not finding the kids to be cute!
This is what I hate more than anything. If you want to bring your children to more family-friendly restaurants, that's fine. However, you still need to control them!

I used to work in a local bar/restaurant in Erie, PA. During the day, especially on weekends, people would bring their younger children in for a meal. For the most part, none of them had acted up to a great extent... except on Sundays... during football season... on the days when the only place you could catch a Steelers game was out at a restaurant or bar, because the game was "blacked out".

The restaurant would be PACKED, and trying to maneuver around tables and people was next to impossible... especially while trying to carry dishes to and from the kitchen. And there were ALWAYS those parents who let their kids run around like crazy.

And my favorite line from parents, after their kid runs into me and starts crying: "See, I told you that would happen if you acted like that." Uh.. that's why you grab them and say, "Cut it out or we're leaving!" BEFORE anything like that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
My mom says that all the time - that she loves flying. Then again, she's only flown for pleasure, and not on a crappy prop plane with less than 20 seats, or on a red-eye home from the west to the east coast because your boss was too cheap to flip for a hotel room. That flight was awful - we had flown one of the crappy newer airlines and get this - they couldn't land in Boston because of fog - their pilots didn't have experience landing in fog (all other airlines were landing and taking off). I woke up around 8am as we were circling above Ohio, and asked the chick next to me what was up. She said that Logan had sent us to circle Ohio an hour and a half earlier.
First of all, I love flying and I HAVE been on those crappy flights... And I've also been on those planes with less than 20 seats (because when flying out of Erie, you really don't have a choice). You get used to the crazy flying patterns and being able to see the runway while landing because there's no door between you and the cockpit

And I have to ask... that awful flight with the fog... when was that? Because when I was in college, I was flying home for spring break and I was heading into Manchester, NH from Detriot. The pilot gave us updates every so often, and started talking about it being foggy. Later we were told we were circling the Manchester airport waiting for the ok to land. Then later we were told that we were unable to land, that we couldn't be diverted to Logan because too many flights were already landing there (and they were having trouble with fog, too), and that we'd have to fly back to Detriot.

I spent the night in the airport, slept on the floor (for maybe an hour) and was sick all week.

But I still like flying! ... I just don't like when things go wrong. Obviously.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 05-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.