View Single Post
Old 11-30-2000, 06:19 PM

Hi Oregon Alpha Xi (Fuzzie),

I'm a Division Vice President for Delta Tau Delta (Alumni advisor).

Delt does not have a "dry housing" rule internationally.

Having said that, given the risk management ramnifications, each of our chapters has been given options -- wet, damp or dry. Within our Membership Responsibility Guidelines, one of the most serious offenses is "Conduct Unbecoming of a Delt," and very high on the list of what constitutes that is drunkenness.

We also have a program which every Delt is supposed to attend called "Delts Talk About Alcohol." It is NOT a program to try to get chapters to go "dry," but rather an educational effort to explain the effects of alcohol and urge moderation in consumption. Our program is/was the first of it's kind to be federally funded and has been offered to and shared by several other fraternities and sororities under different titles.

In effect, the fraternity has put the burden on local chapters and individuals.

In addition, we have found that when a chapter closes and is recolonized, one of the requirements often placed on us by a university is "dry" housing. That is also true of colonizing on campuses new to us.

Maybe the allegation that they, "drink like crazy," is part of the reason the chapter closed in the first place.

In any event, I hope that our new colony at your school will quickly make the list of "great" chapters.

Sorry to be so wordy on this thread, but I hope I've answered your question.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum

PS for the SHSU person above, our International President for the next two years is a Delt Alum from Sam Houston.

[This message has been edited by DeltAlum (edited November 30, 2000).]