View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding house work, our local policy at my chapter was that you couldn't require kitchen duty, etc., of any of the members because it could be construed as hazing, even if they were being paid.

I know... I know...

We did all-chapter "Diamond Dustings" where prides would be assigned to tidy specific areas of the house, and there were house rules about picking up after yourself and not leaving trash or food out, etc.

If a woman is unexcused, too, another good idea is to work off a case-by-case basis. The same blanket penalty won't work for everyone. Talk to her in her Standards meeting about what would be a fair assignment in light of her missing a very important event with the chapter.

The only thing I get wary of with Recruitment is getting too many women to help process applications. Something almost always gets screwed up there. Maybe they can assemble name tags in the evening, or run errands for recruitment, etc.

Again, the purpose isn't to make them resentful of the chapter-- it's to get something positive for them and the chapter out of their missing a mandatory for an unexcused absence. A chapter I used to work with got into the bad habit of making members give membership education workshops-- which those giving the workshop not really taking it seriously.

I'm not knocking those who have to work to pay for college. As I said, I had to do it, too. But it's all about learning where your priorities are and the chapter being consistent in communicating important dates well in advance and holding members accountable.