View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Okay, I was always under the assumption that we (NPC) would have to be the one to make the determination to whether they will be absorbing a local or not.

Yes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the NPC should be making the decision of A) affiliate to the campus and B) absorb a local, it shouldn't be the campus or the local making that decision.

It’s still a mutual selection process. Only NPCs interested in absorbing a local will even submit an extension packet. No packet, no invitation to present. Of the NPCs invited to present, one will be invited to colonize and absorb the local.

Plus, shouldn't the local be doing the "leg work" and finding a NPC whose motto, philanthropy and values they would like to "live up to"?

I don’t know DZO’s specifics so I will speak generally. Abiding by the proper NPC procedures, a local (or interest group) can do leg work referencing a specific group or two and feel that they are the “perfect” match. However, their chosen group(s) may either a) not be interested in the campus or b) not be interested in the local. They have to make a decision to look at someone else or remain local. On the other hand, a local (or interest group) may know that they want to be a part of an NPC but not have a favorite. (This is not uncommon especially for systems opening to National groups for the first time.) They will narrow their options based on the extension packets and presentation visits.

Yep... I always thought the NPC if chosen to colonize and it accepts, has the option to absorb the local, pick & choose which ones they want to keep from the local and then recruit from the outside for the rest of the colony, or just do ground-up expansion. I guess I"m incorrect..

It’s not that you are incorrect but each NPC has its own Membership Selection policy dealing with locals. However, an NPC that wants to pick and choose among the local members or start a ground-up colony should not even submit. I don't believe in breaking up a sisterhood.

Last edited by aopirose; 12-18-2005 at 04:36 AM.