View Single Post
Old 03-08-2002, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Both of my parents were administrators in the public school system (Dad, a Vice Prin and Mom, a counselor).

They sent us to private school from Pre-School through 12th grade. Pre-8th we went to a private Catholic school, high school was a private prep day/boarding school. Soror AKA2D'91 is on point about those school being made for "certain people". Being the only black child in my class all the way the preschool through 8th grade was tough on a little BAP girl. HC I was the only child who had to make sure my swimcap was air-tight during swim class? HC all the questions about what I was putting in my hair or why I didn't wash my hair every day? sorry...had to release that flashback...)

Why? Though they believed strongly in the public school system, they felt that the education and opportunities were stronger in private schools. As a parent now, I have chosen a private christian school for my kids. I've opten for a christian school rather than a catholic school, because of my family's religous preferences. In this particular school, my kids will also usually have at least 1 or 2 other black children in their classes. The public school district where we live is currently trying to cutback $6 million annually from its budget. To do so, they are closing schools, increasing class sizes, eliminating librarians and music programs, and also eliminating the Gifted and Talented program.

My parents felt that they worked hard to be able to afford to send us to the schools we went to and I really appreciate their sacrifices. I was more prepared for college than most of the freshman who went to public schools. I can honestly say that my senior year of high school was far tougher than my freshman year of college.