Thread: So, recs...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The wink wink is from Panhel. They cannot say recs are required to participate in rush because rush is a Panhellenic function. They can’t make statements about individual groups’ membership selection policies. That would be like mall management saying what scents Bath and Body Works can carry.
Oh, I understand that. I guess what I'm struggling to articulate is that I'm thinking the organizations should come right out and say if they, as individual organizations, need recs. For example, the Panhellenic rush booklet has a page for each chapter, listing their colors, mascot, philanthropy, and financial info. Why not have a "rec needed?" line? Why are the individual sororities keeping it a secret? The PNMs would need to know this ahead of time, of course, so they could get the recs. So, in that regard, printing in the booklet isn't a great solution; but, there has to be some way to signal to PNMs that it really is required. Perhaps the national organizations should consider being more transparent about that.

Quote:
As for the groups that do require a rec before a bid is issued, it would kill chapters at some schools if the girls had to find their own.
Exactly. Those chapters will obtain a rec one way or another if one is needed to bid the PNM.

From what I can tell, the practice of PNMs "needing" to obtain 1-2 recs per chapter has it's roots in PNMs who knew the game ahead of time (via info from Greek mothers and grandmothers, etc). Those PNMs realized that they could gain some favorable ground in the process by doing the sorority's work for them. In that way, the sororities' responsibility to obtain recs got pushed on to the PNMs .

Now, picture a freshman POC who is first in her family to attend college. She sees the organizations at the campus new students fair and thinks sororities look like fun. She didn't get the word that she was supposed to have recs because nobody told her, it's not advertised, and her family hasn't been Greek before. The more well-connected girls already knew this and got their recs lined up. The argument I see given here and elsewhere is, as long as she is a stand-out, someone in that sorority will somehow find someone to write her a rec before being bid. The again, what's the point of an alum in a back room during rush writing a rec for a PNM she's never met before?

Quote:
These groups have decided on this policy and if it works for them, that is their business, not mine.
I agree.

Quote:
Non- sorority recs???? All I have to say to that is “2000 women registered to rush at Alabama.”
I've been sick the past few days; so, I guess it's going over my head. I didn't understand your response here. Carnation mentioned that one of the reasons she supports recs is so alumnae can notify a chapter of bad apples ahead of time. I was agreeing that no-rec (bad PNM alert) is one example of how recs are helpful.

True and Constant