View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Wow, I have never heard of that. Of course, I have been out of college for over 10 years. I do worry about dwindling commitment as the years go on. I know that we are growing in the south, and that is so exciting. I wish I knew the secret to doing so. I would love to see us recolonize some of our old chapters. In my district, I think we have only 2 active collegiate chapters (that might be down to one), and that makes me sad. But, I am proud of our collegiates who continue to thrive.
It does happen sis. There are some chapters that have that issue, particularly with those members who go on to pledge an NPHC sorority. Some of that is just because of how GSS may be perceived on that campus. There are some chapters of GSS that have many members that are in other sororities, and that is okay. There are still other chapters in which it's already known on campus, "If you join GSS, you can forget about joining any other sorority". Thus you have the "stepping stone" label that is placed on our sorority. But I do think that is something that the sorority needs to address overall (the dwindling commitment)--because there are a few factors into why that is.

I'm in Georgia, and we are experiencing lots of growth here (there are 4 groups in Atlanta alone!!) as well as in the South. It's because we travel--whether to another chapter in support or to other schools that don't have GSS there. A lot of the inquiries I get are from people who say "I know x person from ABC University and she is a Gamma Sig--I like what they are about" to seeing pics of us on Facebook! That would be something I would encourage members in other areas to do. Get outside of the comfort of your chapter and travel, travel, travel. But I also understand how difficult it can be when you don't have but so many people in that area.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."