View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I did not mean to offend by saying "substitute family". I am sure I could have worded that better or gone into more detail about what I meant. I simply meant that I did not face the loneliness that I think students deal with when they go away to school. All my family was within a 30 minute drive. I was simply trying to explain I understand that this a good reason for my daughter's and other's desire to become part of an organization that does, for many, become like a family to them.

"Your post infers that sorority members are privileged...... "I paid it all myself" "

Well yes, I do think those who had college mostly paid for by their parents and are able to afford to also pay sorority dues are privileged. As the saying goes, college is not a "right" in this country; it is a privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
JLoCo, you would have received more sympathetic responses had you posted a more neutral post. Your post infers that sorority members are privileged, needy individuals. "I paid it all myself" and "I didn't need a substitute family" are offered as examples. Go back and reread your first paragraph. It reeks of condescension.

This is your recourse: daughter can file a complaint with the Greek Life office at her school. The offending sorority might get in trouble, but it won't change your daughter's situation.

My question is this: if your daughter is "so brilliant" and knew bid promising was strictly against the rules ( as it is on all campuses), how did she allow herself to be duped? I hope that she is throwing herself into all the opportunities that sorority #2 will offer her.

BTW, if her boyfriend is in a fraternity that is top tier, they would already be socializing with the bid promising top tier sorority. And Mom, certainly you know that if D's boyfriend breaks up with D because she did not get a bid from the top tier group, he is a jerk, and she is better off without him!

I hope your daughter can work through her disappointment and enjoy membership in her group. Good luck to her.