View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Mandatory vs optional

What events are mandatory and which are optional for you? If you have a point system, how is that working for you, and within your point system do you still have mandatory events?

Background:
My chapter is considering moving to using a point system instead of fining people for not attending things. Events that people should be going to are worth more points in the system. You must meet a minimum number of points to run for office and/or have a little sister. The number of points will also determine picking order for littles. We are debating if any events should be mandatory or not? Tbh, if people don't want to attend chapter meetings, I would rather they not show up to most of them. We can be more productive if the naysayers stay home. My concern is that with everything technically optional, that attendance will be poor at events. At the same time it would also mean that people will get their points at events they want to go to and the planners of events need to work hard to make them fun so people want to attend. I think the point system will also allow those who are busy to still be involved with the sorority, where typically these people go inactive to avoid the fines.

I would greatly appreciate your opinions on this. Thank you!