View Single Post
Old 06-27-2001, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

That can be somewhat true. However, I think there is a great difference in each person - Greek or non-Greek - in their level of commitment to living a Christian life. I have had Brothers who profess to be Christians, and I do not doubt them...however, they do not take the time to live what some consider to be a "Christian life".

When I pledged, there were 3-4 devoutly Christian Brothers that really stood out from the crowd. These guys were in no means ostracized (sp?) by the other brothers -- they still played intramurals (very well I might add), came to socials, and were involved in every other aspect of Greek life. They also led a weekly Bibly study for Greeks, and promoted attendance and participation in the school's various religious organizations.
These guys were known throughout the Greek, campus and Christian communities as good leaders and excellent role models for other students. However, it seemed that once these guys graduated, the level of comfort some non-Greek devout Christians had with Greeks dramatically decreased.
These Brothers were very much "living for Jesus" everyday...they didn't drink, hook up, cuss, or act like the stereotypical fraternity guy (at least in public...what they did behind closed doors is unknown to me).
So, to answer your questions, I would have to say that if a Christian is afraid to join a fraternity or sorority just because they don't want to "compromise" their Christian beliefs, then that would lead me to think that they don't have much faith in the strenght of their Christian life and commitment to living for the Lord.