View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think there are so many variables in slating:

1) Do women formally express interest, or does the slating committee just pick people?

2) Does the slating committee pick only one per office?

3) Can a woman run against the slated candidate?

4) How is the slating committee picked?

These are all things that can make it good or bad, so I'm curious what people mean when they say "slating".
For Sigma (and I'll take this down if it's private information, but I really don't think that it is):

1.Women can formally express interest via a nomination box. You can self nominate or nominate another woman.

2. The slate committee then picks 1 woman per office. This is a closed process and no one except the slate committee knows what discussion went on. You receive a phone call only if you were slated but it is confidential and if you tell someone you are automatically disqualified. You only know if you are not slated by your lack of phone call.

3. Before a vote is taken, you can floor nominate someone (though this may not actually be true, we weren't sure so we still did it this year but were told that possibly we were not supposed to). There is no speech made, no questions asked, no discussion. They simply become another option on the ballot.

4. Slating committee is comprised of one woman from each grade level (freshman through super senior, if applicable). Each woman cannot be running for any position on officer board.

In some ways I like the system we have. I like that there isn't open discussion (that would be an absolute mess I'm sure) but I hate that there is literally no interview or application process. I feel like some women try for positions without a good understanding of what the position actually entails. Also there are some women that might be more qualified but because we don't have any written credentials we don't have a lot to go off of except prior sorority experience, as the slate committee (I was on ours this year). I think that it does reduce drama in some ways (since there is absolutely no campaigning) but it's not perfect. It works out okay though, most times.