View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
It's a sick world the virtue signaling left wants us to live in.
Oh man, TriDeltaSallie. I really want to give you a hug right now and sit down for a long coffee with you. Not because I agree with what you've said. Totally the opposite. It's because I think people who disagree so drastically in this day and age really should sit down together and take time to intentionally seek common ground.

I consider myself pretty left, and I was totally agreeing with a lot of what you said...until you said that last bit. I would hope that if we sat down for a real conversation, you wouldn't turn around and say these things about me the way you've said them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And we wonder why high school and college kids are so stressed out, depressed, hurting themselves, abusing drugs, etc. today? They make one stupid mistake and everyone is ready to ruin their lives and the lives of everyone they associate with.

I'm thankful my sisters and advisors operated in a kinder world where we were allowed to try, fail, and learn. We admonished plenty of sisters to grow up in different ways, sometimes in serious ways, but we never thought that the answer was to destroy them. That's not love. That's abuse.
Ya- I totally agree that these are huge issues for kids and agree with your assessment about teaching people to do and think for themselves and giving them the space to fail.

I totally agree that we've swung too punitive and less compassionate. And I think part of that comes from the divide in society today. It feels like people are less willing to really hear opposite opinions, and our faith in others' ability to grow and correct their mistakes is almost gone.

I have two young kids, so I've been reading a lot (too many?) parenting books that talk about this exact problem:
How to Raise an Adult
The Price of Privilege
The Gift of Failure

But the take here is less political and it's more about the pressures we place on kids to be perfect, the crazy over-scheduling, the protection from any kind of failure, the bubble-wrapping, and the inadvertent short-circuiting of the essential growing-up process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I think there are some deeper social and cultural issues that have an impact, but simply put, I think that the need to sue at the slightest inkling that you've been wronged is a cause. I think it comes from the past 25 / 30 years where you had to pick a side (Rush Limbaugh). Some of the current news is being blown out of proportion to fill a 24/7 news cycle. As I said too, the internet is forever.

Growing up I was taught to not do anything you don't want to see on the front page of a news paper.

The internet will take some 'ho-hum' not so exciting events and will just amplify these events out of proportion.

The cause is just the advance of technology.

I was an undergrad Greek back in the late 80's / early 90's and I'm sure worse things were said and done by all Greeks at that time. Did we have facebook, twitter, snapchat, tik tok? No. So yeah, people behaved just as badly back then, but what they did was not captured in a way that it would last forever.

I think both sides need to realize there is a spectrum of activity and that it is not either / or.

The reason kids and young adults are so physically and mentally ill is because the internet is on all the time. They won't give themselves a break from it because of FOMO.

Should people loose their jobs because of what they said / did years ago, again, it depends.
YES! Everything you've said here, and more.

There are myriad reasons. I think it does us all a disservice to ignore the complexities here.