View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Gee-he has been to a couple of parties been invited to others, but our town is out of the loop, so he would have to go to another town to attend and there's just a lot of distraction going on here. His sister and a couple of upper class soro girls he knew from HS have been talking to him about the different fraternities.
I KNOW what the national policies are, but that doesn't mean hazing doesn't go on. All of his close friends are pretty set against any fraternity that is going to beat-punch-brand-tattoo-make them walk around in a costume filled with vomit...the stories go on and on. SO, at this point it goes from who hazes the least to the most and of 16 (or so) it comes down to one and a posible 2 others. There is a 4th, but THEIR pledges' choice was a brand or tattoo. The crazy thing is, most of these guys don't have older brothers in a fraternity, so they haven't been raised to hear about the positive aspects. I have retained some great advice from some of the guys on GC. I am printng it out around the first of Aug. so he can digest it. If I try to vocally tell him, he'll think I'm running his life/lecturing him-when he reads it, he thinks it over, and becomes more open when we talk.
I just think he may say to hell with it all and pledge a group SOLELY on the hazing issue and if the brotherod isn't there...walk away. How could I blame him? I don't care WHAT your letters are! HUBBY says-you have to think you NEED to join pretty bad to allow people to beat you up. He has more confidence (ego???) than that.