View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RockChalk
The deal is that the sorority that exceeded quota by so much was the second smallest sorority on our campus. Last fall, they had 108 members. Assuming 20 of them graduated in May, that left them with 88 going into formal rush. I believe total is 170 (but please don't take my word for it; all of my friends in sororities have graduated, so I'm kinda out of the loop). So, even with the 62 NMs, this sorority still has ~150 members - well below total.

IMHO, this worked out really well for everybody - 10 women got bids that might not have otherwise and this sorority is the largest it has been in years.
The whole thing doesn't make sense. If you can go over or under quota then what's the point? Just have total and take as many or as few pledges as you want up to total. The other thing that doesn't make sense is allowing sororities to go over total. Doesn't that defeate the purpose? You end up with some groups over total, some at total, some just under and some way under. Isn't that what you are trying to prevent?