View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if Greek Life would be right for your daughter or not. She would need to go through the process and see if it is right for her.

Does she have good time management skills? She will need that in order to participate in a sorority, be on a nationally ranked dance team and take pre-med courses. My niece had to choose between the sorority and the dance team at her university because she didn't think she would be able to handle it. Another thing to consider would be the events she would miss while practicing for the dance team and dance team commitments.

All sororities value good grades. I don't think rush week will impact her grades especially if recruitment is done before school starts. If recruitment is during school she will need good time management skills to stay on top of reading and assignments during the week.

It is not so much the connections that are valuable in Greek Life. It is the life lessons that you learn. It will help her tremendously with her social skills. Most members of Greek Life can ace an interview because they have had 4 years of recruitment experience that mimic the interview process. I would think the social skills she would learn would aide her in having a good bed side manner which would be important in her chosen field.

I think Greek Life is a wonderful experience for most every one. I would certainly not discourage it if she feels like it is something she wants to pursue. It is a time commitment though and she needs to know that going in to the process. Good luck to you..