Thread: Friend-Zoned
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Friend-Zoned

I go to a small liberal arts college, and our fraternities range from 50 to 30 members. We have a couple of potential new members who hang around with us, are excellent in everything we're looking for, but sometimes we get stuck in convincing them to join. Sometimes they play the card, "I can just be your friend and not pay," or we aren't sure of their intentions.

Many of our guys worry also about annoying a PNM or not respecting their disinterest, or we do not openly ask questions about joining. Some can't handle rejection well. So this leads to two questions:

(1) What are some ways to combat a PNM just wanting to be friends and not seeming to buy into the benefits of membership?
(2) Is it too forward/blunt to ask someone after knowing them and getting to know them, "What are you doing? Do you want to join or not?" if they are 'confusing' us (not necessarily that exact wording at all, but having an open conversation)

I hope this makes sense. We're missing something and we aren't sure if we are doing something wrong or just need to move on.