View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Be careful here. As long as you're nurturing a "glimmer of hope" about the other fraternity, it's really hard, if not impossible, to give the fraternity you pledged a fair chance. Try to put that other possibility out of your mind. Besides, even if the guys talking to you are actives, they may not reflect the feelings of the chapter and it may not be as easy as they say.

I'm Southern, and I get the Southern thing to a point. That said, don't discount (1) the possibility that some of the Northerners will stay after graduation, and (2) the value of a "network"* that reaches beyond your local region.

Best of luck!

* I know others may feel differently, but I am not a fan of "networking" as an end in and of itself. The concept is a huge turn-off for me, actually. But if it's important to you, you'll have lots of opportunities to network. Join a fraternity to make friends and form bonds of brotherhood. "Networks" will follow
My network of people that I met in college includes tons of people from other organizations and no organization at all. We met in class and clubs and through Greek Life. Networking should have nothing to do with whether you decide to say in a group or not.

OP, my impression is that this is about tiers and reputation for you. You want to be in a "top tier" fraternity and you aren't. You need to go watch Monsters University 1000 times and decide to be okay with being OK.