View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops, did I just start a fire ..?

Wow, I honestly hadn't expected so many responses so soon.

Regarding the mutual selection process:
Learning more about recruitment at my school was definitely one of the first things I did, and I am acutely aware that the other sorority must choose me, too! I know that every chapter is different, but my thought process was that there must be a reason that a sorority girl can run into another sister she's never met and get along so well, yes? From my experience so far, it never hurts to do your research and aim just a little for what you want ... Being a Kappa is my dream right now, but if I end up finding a home somewhere else, I am completely fine with that. Though I do have my heart set on this sorority, I have definitely planned to go through recruitment with an open mind. If I've learned anything by coming out, it is to take stereotypes and opinions with a grain of salt!

Also, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get a definite yes/no answer to my question, but I hoped to gain a broader perspective about the idea of me joining a sorority ... and I definitely received some valuable insight. Thanks to all who replied!

@knight_shadow: I guess I have a thing or two to learn about protocol concerning colors. Thank you for letting me know, and I apologize if my poor attempt at a respectful gesture came off to you as presumptuous. Thank you for letting me know that HQ does not have jurisdiction over my membership. It was something I had wondered.

@violetpretty: Thank you for the heads up about sophomore standing. Yes, I am already preparing myself with the possibility of rejection. I've lost my share of relationships to coming out, so I am sure I could handle this if I had to. And come to think of it, yes I would still want to be Greek. Thank you for helping me realize that.

@AXOrushadvisor: Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! By 'make it' I meant both be able make it as a member and then continue to be an involved member while also staying true to myself.

@Drolefille: Thank you for your explanation of queer. What exactly should I be reading more about?

@LucyKKG: Yes, I wondered about how much personal information to disclose. I decided I didn't care, but maybe I should delete this thread in a couple of days (can I do that?).

@thetygerlily: Thank you for your practical advice and objectivity. I truly appreciate it. I hadn't thought about how I would look if I ended up feeling more comfortable at a different house. I guess I was being too ballsy ...

@xibair: I do have a Legalize Gay shirt and an HRC shirt, but I'd like to think I would have a litte more tact than to wear them to recruitment ha.

@LadyLonghorn: As I have said to knight_shadow, I honestly was trying to be extra-respectful and by no means intended to offend. Apologies.

Overall, thanks to most for your responses and your civility. I know that not everyone agrees with who I'm dating.