View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

As I mentioned before, I think they’re pricing themselves out of business. Most of them went nuts with things like climbing walls and suite style dorms and Starbucks- I suppose, trying to compete for out of state tuition dollars. But, that’s not, and has never been, their market. When I went to :
Slippery Rock in 1998-2000 it was 8k a year and that coveted room and board and tuition and “fees.” The last time I checked, it was 16,000 for both and today it’s saying about 21,000 for both.

An average student from a lower class or working class family is just going to pass. For not much more, you could go to a flagship in a different state (even factoring in out of state tuition). And they are stingy with scholarships. My nephew looked at SRU and even with a 4.0 and everything he didn’t get any assistance. He is at Chatham, where he got like $25k right off the top. Public schools can’t keep up with that.

If they’re not actually merging at this point in time, I predict soon. PA does have a lot of colleges and a lot of community colleges too.