View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
That's ridiculous. If they're hazing as part of their new member experience and discussing it openly with non members.... well, the first rule of fight club applies. Joking aside, I don't think most fraternities haze anymore. A not insignificant minority still do, but our national organizations (mostly) have spent years trying to eradicate the practice.
I know we're all just spouting anecdotes here, but by the definitions of hazing we've mentioned every single fraternity I ever encountered was doing it at Clemson. Every single one I knew someone in (which was most but admittedly not all, although several of the ones I didn't know anyone in were closed for risk violations), from the lowliest "bottom tier" chapter to the most prestigious ones. Not all of them were engaging in all forms of hazing at once, but I could give a dozen examples and not run out. I have zero faith that hazing is not still commonplace, especially at schools where it's an entrenched part of the culture.

And that attitude hockeyfan mentioned that without hazing, a chapter is worthless is still very, very common at the schools I've been at and know people from. If you don't have some sort of "process", and that phrase is left vague intentionally, then you're not a "real" fraternity. I've seen this for IFC, NPHC, commuter schools through Alabama itself. I don't think that's gone away.