View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Spill! Spill!

And, I had no idea NYU had a weak greek system. I always assumed that since they were such a well known school that they had a great greek system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemama View Post
I went to grad school at NYU in the early 90s and while I wasn't on campus all that much, I don't recall much of a Greek presence. Think about it, though....there's so much to do in NYC that joining a GLO (particularly for the social aspects) probably isn't a big priority for most students.
I don't know if it is "weak" per se. Also, NYU has only become a "well-known" school in the past decade or so, considering it has slowly been transitioning into a residential university vs. a commuter university. i have a lot of friends in admissions and they say that though the school attracts students from all over the world, the applications really didnt start to diversify until the last 10-15 years. for the most part, NYU students of the past were, at best, from the tri-state area.

anyway, with that said, i want to believe that at some point, NYU's greek life has gone through waves of success. Maybe when i got there it was at a low? I do know that by the time i graduated, more and more people i knew were going greek, and there was more of a greek presence (throwing campus-wide events, seeing letters on campus, and then i think a new Greek life director was hired, and she was very pro-greek and working to get ALL types of GLO's recognized) but still, at most its like 5% of the student population are greek, if that.

and dukemama is right - if a high priority of college life is going greek, then NYU may not be for you because it's ust not strong in greek life. its definitely a "greek life = 4 years of your life" atmosphere... which leads me to my next update!
(read on!)