View Single Post
Old 04-07-2002, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

"The Anti-Hazing, Anti-Drinking Fraternity"

Let's pose a question: can ther be a Anti-Hazing, Anti-Drinking Fraternity? Why not, fraternal organizations are built on brotherhood. What does drinking and hazing have to do with brotherhood? I'll tell you one thing though, hazing and drinking can be a important thing if you handle it right. Not to say that we do it, cause we don't. But I could definately imagine where it would come in handy. Our system works this way. We rush someone. We associate him. We go through a quarter and decide if he would like it here and more importantly if we would like him here. 9 out of 10 times our rush process works and we get a good guy. But that 1 time, we end up having to tell him that his stuff has to be out by the end of the quarter. Thats fine. We do that. We get a call from his parents asking why we kicked him out. We now actually document things about why we don't like a guy. We have to read these things to his parents if they ask us to. What a humiliating thing for the parents as well as the guy. Hazing and Drinking can be used to create a barrier to which no one would join a house. not to say this is right, but it makes both parties happier.

A lot of people I know in our system were hazed. Not to name names. They hated every day of I week. They say it builds brotherhood and trust. Well F that! Our house has so much more brotherhood than any other house here. I could be biased though... All I'm saying is... there's no lack of it. The occasional tool, but thats it. This summer, were gettting a rush class of 25 guys. Probably the biggest ever for our chapter. Its amazing the kind of brotherhood you can get with a guy who is consitantly sober and level headed. I think guys are actually coming around to the idea as well as sororities.

Let me know your thoughts.