View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
The worst are the people that are looking for a place to live. They find listings online for too good to be true rental amounts and contact the ad owner, who coincidentally is a married missionary who needs someone trustworthy and honest to watch their lovely home while they're overseas (not always Nigeria).

What has really happened is someone has stolen the ad content and pictures from a legitimate rental listing on a legitimate website and created a scam rental listing with a lower asking price. The catch: you have to send a payment by western union or money order to receive the keys. Some people still see the $700 deposit as a small price to pay to move into a beautiful property that might normally rent much higher than that. This applies to long-term rentals as well as vacation rentals.

I can't tell you how many times a day I hear about these scams at my job. What's worse is that you would think people have heard it all and are more aware, but people report financial loss every day over this.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. (I'm sure your grandparents have said this before....)