Thread: Helloooooo
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Helloooooo

Hi Fellow Greeks and Spectators
My name is Stormi and I am a sister of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local organization recently banned from Pace University Pleasantville. I have pasted an email I have sent to NPC and IFC in regads to situation ALS is in at Pace. If anyone has any knowledge and could help us, we would greatly appreciate it. I have changed by name in the attached email for the sake of anonymity.

Thank you all,
xoxo Storm

--------------------------------------------------------------
Unjust Treatment Towards Local Sororities at Pace University

To:
npccentral@npcwomen.org;
exec@ngla.org;
blaine.ayers@nicfraternity.org;
pitches@hercampus.com;

​To Whom It May Concern:
The nature of this email is to explain unjust treatment towards sororities and Greek Life as a whole on Pace Univeristy's Pleasantville Campus, but more specifically towards local organizations. We are asking for help from women to women, sisterhood to sisterhood, to help us gain justice on our campus so each organization may be treated equally now and for years to come. This is not just a story about a local sorority, there is a bigger picture. We want to continue to prosper as a Greek organization and prevent the fall of Greek Life at Pace. This email is being sent to executive members of the National Panhellenic Council, North East Greek Leadership Conference, North American Interfratenity Conference, and Her Campus. Please forward this email to the proper person who may assist us. Thank you.

My name is BLANK, I am a junior at Pace University (Pleasantville Campus), I am also an active member of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local sorority. Alpha Lambda Sigma (ALS) was founded in 1993, we started off as a Little Sister organization to our brothers, Alpha Chi Epsilon. ALS has since been on Pace University's Pleasantville Campus for 25 years upholding our values of Loyalty, Trust, and Honor respectively represented by our colors: purple, white, and teal. Our philanthropies are: Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric AIDS, and Kevin's Christmas (a private philanthropy dedicated to an ALS Alumni's little brother who died).

I am an executive board member of Pace's University Panhellenic Council, comprised of both local and national sororities in which we uphold the constitution of the National Panhellenic Council. As members of NPC I believe it is unfair for local sororities to be treated differently than national sororities when we uphold and respect the same constitution of NPC and UPC.

As of April 2019, false allegations have been brought forth against ALS with a lack of evidence to prove us guilty, yet we were suspended from campus. In 2018, another local sorority, Nu Zeta Phi was suspended from our campus. We believe their situation was different than ALS' but nontheless we believe they were treated unfairly in the same manner that ALS is being treated by Pace's Center for Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA). Our santions are: Chapter Suspension for 4 calendar years. Pace has a policy that says, any local sorority suspended from campus for any length of time can not be reinstated unless they come back with new Greek letters or as a National sorority. This policy affects only local sororities and not national sororities, thus being unfair. Although we can not change the University's policies, we can speak out against the unjustice.

We have reasons to believe the Senior Associate Director of Pace's SDCA is on a mission to completely get rid of Greek Life on Pace's Pleasantville Campus because he disliked the fraternity in which he pledged. This man has even said to our President of Alpha Lambda Sigma that he "would not lose sleep if we were kicked off campus". After talking to the President of UPC, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, she agrees the rules and policies Pace has set forth against Greek Life is extremely unfair. For example, there is a rule that states the President of UPC can only be a sister of a national sorority. Pace's Pleasantville Campus only has two national sororities: Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, therefore being unjust towards the two locals on our campus: Alpha Lambda Sigma and Sigma Iota Chi.

At the moment, ALS is trying to appeal our suspension, but if our appeal gets denied we will no longer exist. If we cannot be reinstated, we will do whatever it takes to come back to campus, that being said, I would like to know how can a local sorority like ALS, come back as a national organization? If becoming a national is our only hope, we will go through whatever it takes to allow our sisterhood to live on.
Is there anyone we can speak to who can either help us in this unfair treatment or is there anyone who can advise us and lead us in the right direction to become a national sorority?
We do not want anymore unfair treatment on our campus and if there is nothing we can do to help ALS, we want to make an impact so no other sorority or fraternity experiences their sisterhood or brotherhood torn apart because of biased, unfair treatment from a superior at our University.

We are asking for help and support.

Thank you,
Sisterhood Chair & Social Chair | Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority
Secretary | University Panhellenic Council