View Single Post
Old 09-29-2001, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My Turn! - Part II

Ok! Ok! My goodness! Can't a girl stop to get something to eat?!

So here's the rest of my story about COB....

After doing the meet 'n' greet bit inside of the student union ballroom, I wandered over to the little party rooms to meet more sisters. I had it narrowed down to three out of seven, four if I include Tri-Delta. They are: Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Zeta and Sigma Kappa. Yes, I still held out some hope for SK. I avoided going in to see Delta Delta Delta 'cause, after my experience at the tables, I was afraid that they wouldn't let me leave!

I went in to see DZ first. The girl who had rushed me at the tables had since moved to the party room - she was very excited to see me come back. She practially flagged me down the second I walked in. They had a really cute luau theme going on. Some of the girls asked me about my interests and stuff. I mentioned this and that. When they found out that I've done some acting they nearly fainted. It turns out one of their members was on some TV show.

I thought they were all really cool....but they were still a teeny bit too superficial. But, I understand that people usually are when meeting strangers. For that reason, I accepted an invitation to attend another one of their events over the weekend (by the way, this was held on a Thursday evening). I figured the more I participate (with DZ or any house) the easier it will be to get the "true" personality of the sorority.

Honestly, I didn't really understand how informal recruitment and COB went. I say this because, while I was in the DZ room, a sister came in and made a "big" announcement. She said "This is so-and-so and she's just accepted a bid to Delta Zeta! Let's welcome our new sister!" and everyone just started cheering. I remember thinking "Huh? But we've only been here an hour! I thought today was only the first day!?" I didn't want to ask and make myself look silly. I just figured that maybe they had met her before and that's why they offered her the invitation so quickly. I now understand how it works.

At any rate, I spent quite a bit of time with Delta Zeta. They too kept draggin' me around and introducing me to others. I didn't know it at the time, but I found out later that being dragged around is a very good sign. It means that the rusher wanted everyone to know who I am so that I could get approval from the sisters later on. At least, that's what I heard. (Is that so?)

Ok! Moving on! On my way over to see AOPi, I passed by Alpha Phi. Again, their room was chock full of girls. I couldn't even see in to the back. They must be popular!

I entered into AOPi's party room and it wasn't as happenin' as Delta Zeta's. This could be due to the fact that it was close to the end of the night. That and AOPi's room was right outside the exit to the ballroom - I bet a lot of PNMs went to AOPi first. It didn't have a "theme" per say, but it did have a lot of cute decorations like Pandas and roses and such. They had a TV which played a video of their events and philanthropies. The sisters greeted me warmly and answered some questions. Then, surprise! It turns out that a couple of the sisters were in one of my classes. We were really surprised to run into each other. We just stood around and talked and talked and talked. The President joined in and she told me a really cute story about a rose pin she was wearing. She said that her little sister, 11 years old, gave it to her for Christmas saying "I can't wait until I get to be an AOPi." Cute.

It was getting somewhat late, it was around 9:30ish pm and I didn't want to wear out my welcome or anything. I decided to go. The AOPis also invited me to some other things that they were doing over the weekend. That was cool. At that point, it was so late, I didn't even bother with Sigma Kappa. I figured if they didn't like me enough to acknowledge my presence at the tables, I didn't want to bother them any more. So, by the end of the evening, I had it down to DZ and AOPi as finalists. I was leaning a bit more towards AOPi because of their honesty; but I was a bit disappointed that they weren't as enegetic as DZ. So, I figured I should go to one more event each before really setting my heart on either.

Later that evening, I got into my jammies and went to bed. At about 10:45pm, the President of AOPi called up and extended an invitation to join! I was sooooo flattered! As I mentioned, I didn't understand how COB went. I think I said something like, "Wow! Already!?" I really liked AOPi and I was so excited to receive a bid.

So, Tibi, you guessed correctly! BUT WAIT! There's a twist! Those of you who have followed my story in the Alumni Involvement forum know where this is going.

Like I said, I was very flattered to get a bid so quickly (within two hours?). But, I'm the kind of person who likes to be sure of things. Spending 20 mins with each house wasn't enough time. I thanked the President and politely asked her if I could take the weekend to decide. I said that I wanted to be sure...especially since I had promised another house that I would attend one of their events. She was very supportive and thought that was OK. She encouraged me to attend the greek night at the basketball game - she said that all of the sororities would be there and that I could check them all out again if I like. Of course, she added that she hoped I would stop by to sit with them!

Ok...I finished my post...but apparently it was too long. Big surprise there. I'll post the rest in the next message....

......Kelly