View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
What exactly do multicultural GLOs do to promote diversity/multiculturalism? I'm not very familiar with them. I have, however, been involved with diversity/multicultural clubs in high school, but it wasn't exactly a good experience for me.
I hope some other folks will come in and help with this question. Theta Nu Xi chapters hold forums and other events to help educate people and promote appreciation, among attendees, for each other. We also have a very strong national objective toward Greek unity. In addition, internally, we have instituted certain programs and requirements to help each of our members familiarize herself with as many different cultures and opinions as possible. We also position ourselves to be able to take on opportunities that will allow us to be involved in cultures other than our own and to support members of that culture.

For example, I was recently approached by a young Muslim organization in NYC whose major goal is to provide school and teaching supplies for the betterment Afghani students here and abroad. They asked if I would join their Board of Directors to provide insight from a position that they are currently lacking. Because of time constraints, I will likely be unable to take on such a large responsibility, but I did offer to serve on their Advisory Board (which is very active also because of the young age of this particular organization).

Also, in my graduate program, I am supposed to fulfill an internship requirement to graduate. I am currently looking at three ministry opportunities that involve Native American youth.

While I could certainly have done all of these things without Theta Nu Xi in my life, membership in the sorority provides me with opportunities that I would have never known before and a place to discuss touchy issues that I would not be comfortable sharing elsewhere.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 12-02-2004 at 12:16 AM.