View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgal2k17 View Post
Stemming from this, our marketing for ourselves and events is also a mess. Freshmen I talked to before recruitment didn't even know we existed. We don't have a lot of cute t-shirts, and from a social standpoint, we mix consistently with the same two fraternities almost exclusively. Our fall philanthropy was poorly attended.

The girls in my chapter are all very involved actually. I'm VP of one of the political parties on campus. There are 10 of us involved in student government, and another handful in the student life organization. (This is one of the reasons I do, for all it's worth, love my chapter!). We do a decent job attending other Greek life events.

After recruitment this year, there's talk of another sorority coming onto our campus. If we can't create a reputation and get girls to join us this far down the line, it could be hard to compete with what will seem like a clean slate for some of next years girls.

I'm not in a leadership position, but many of my other friends in the sorority agree with me on these things. We have an entire marketing scheme, complete with color palates, recruitment themes & outfits, and ideas for actually cute shirts we could order. How do we go about sharing these ideas without starting drama & tension between girls who like things the way they are? And then how do we really start this transformation?
Some quick suggestions based on what you've laid out above:
1) Have each sister throw in $20-40 and put in a group order for a couple lettered shirts. Pick a day during the week and have everyone wear the same one. Eat lunch together on campus.
2) Plan mixers with groups other than fraternities. Contact one of the sports teams (male or female) or other clubs/organizations and see if they're up for having an event together.
3) Sign up as a sorority for an intramural sport.
4) Do something simple and nice for others as a group. For example, during finals week, my chapter used to stand outside our cafe on campus and hand out Smarties and Dum-Dum lollipops. Get It?

Find ways to make yourself more visible which also allow you to meet and talk to a wide range of people.

I don't think that you have to present any drastic "master plan" to the chapter. Just make small suggestions and let them take off. And if you find that there are only half of your sisters on board, then work with what you have. These things don't necessarily need a chapter vote and 100% participation.

Now, as for recruitment, what exactly are you looking to change? Membership selection criteria? Are you simply looking for sisters to take it more seriously? Do you want to overhaul your recruitment parties? What are you doing now that you feel is working? What isn't working?

@~/~~~~