View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the OP's MO about this is that if he's a Republican, then it really shows how "different," "better," or "much more moral" he is than those scarf-wearing, Lady GaGa-loving gays who flock to the Democratic Party.. I've seen a number of Black Republicans do the same thing. "See, I'm not like them! I'm moral! I'm a Republican!!!!"
While that certainly could be going on, it could also just be that he grew up in a Republican family and/or naturally aligns with a more fiscally-conservative, smaller government, pro-business point of political view. Republican doesn't necessarily mean religious right or social conservative. As Dr. Phil says, political parties are diverse groups. The existence and activities of the Log Cabin Republicans attest to that. While I agree with the broader point about the implications of stressing how different the OP is from "those gays," there's nothing about being Republican that I find that inherently questionable. I agree with 33girl -- there's something almost condescending about suggesting otherwise.

As for the question he posed, my main concern is still that he's already said too much. If anybody from UNC has checked in on this thread, he's already laid everything out there -- chapters have seen what all he said about himself before meeting him and getting a chance to know him.