View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardusttwin17 View Post
Those articles are incorrect. Mrs. Obama was extended honorary membership but she ultimately did not accept and was not initiated.

If she had already been a member of any org it would not have been an issue at all. Doing this at beginning of first term would not have been smart. Wherever her heart lies, once POTUS is out of office she'll be free to pursue.

[\slides back into lane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I agree.

I'm glad you said it because I couldn't find articles to reference though everyone in the D9 already knew/talked about it ad nauseam.
Only partially true. She did accept, but was never initiated.

In 2008, at the Centennial Boule Public Program, the International President Barbara McKenzie read a letter from Barack Obama which had a PS saying that Michelle was flattered and accepted their offer of honorary membership. (Source: I actually watched the live stream of the Public Program; the letter was also printed in the 2010 edition of the AKA history book.)

The crowd went wild and the media ran with the story as if she had already been initiated. Then the PR people for the campaign stepped in with this non-exclusive foolishness.